Friday, July 25, 2008

Day 37

8:30 am with Zeb

The hardest thing was actually getting myself to class.  Again I had less sleep than I would like, basically 2 stretches of about 2.5 - 3 hours, for a total of maybe five and  a half hours.  So I really would have rather slept, but got myself out of the house by 8 o'clock anyways.

Class was a typical Zeb class:  harder than others, but very strong and satisfying.  In standing series, I was working really hard and almost losing my breath.  With other teachers, there is a good chance that I would have sat out a set of triangle.  But for some reason, because it was Zeb, I was determined not to sit out.  And then, of course, he gives me a nice correction in triangle which really dug into my inner thigh and hips.

Balance was better today.  I made it through Standing Head to Knee without falling out.  I'm kicking out now, but when I start to lose it, I'm able to bend the leg and keep the standing knee locked.  I've still got a long way to go on this, but I now feel like I'm on the right path.  

I also had a small breakthrough in Toe Stand.  I actually got both of my hands into prayer while on the left toe, for about a microsecond.  It's a start.  I don't understand why I'm better on my left foot than on the right.  My left bunyon is much worse, and its supposed to cause problems in this pose.  It's something I'll need to ask about.

Once again, after class I felt much better and had lots of energy for the rest of the day, despite the lack of sleep.  I'm wondering more and more about yoga and sleep.  I've heard that Bikram sleeps only a couple of hours a night.  That seems really extreme, but I've been generally going with much less sleep than usual, and I haven't felt any bad effects from it at all, at least not yet.   

No comments: