Thursday, October 30, 2008

123/135

4:30 with Miranda

I went to the hot side of the class today and it kicked my butt.  There were only 10 in class, and they all set up near the windows.  I was all by my self on the other end.  When I looked in the mirrors, there was no-one beside me, no-one behind me, and I could barely see the others in my peripheral vision.

I was looking forward to that kind of isolation.  I thought it would be great for my focus.  But no dice.  I was middling at best in the balancing series.  I should have known better.  The distractions don't really come from the people around you, but from within.  And in a strange way, I think by eliminating all the people around me, I just put a stronger light on the internal stuff that was going to lead to distraction anyway.  Once again, I got through one of four tries in Standing Head to Knee and Standing Bow. 

Balancing Stick, however, has improved alot in the last few days.  I'm getting closer to a "T" and less like a broken umbrella.  I haven't fallen in several days, and I even come out of the pose in more or less the starting position.  In the past I have tended to fall back to the right as I came out of the pose.

The big thing today was the first forward bend.  I got my head to touch my shins for the first time, even if it was a bit of a push.  And I am very, very close to locking the knees.  Considering I could barely get into this pose when I was struggling with sciatica, this is an amazing improvement.  When the knees finally lock in this pose, maybe I should throw a party.

Fixed firm was good today as well.  In the second set, I allowed myself to spread my knees some, and the hips went down to the floor pretty easily.  I went back onto my elbows and even started inching back from there.  My knee didn't scream, and the pose felt pretty good.

On the negative side (maybe), the heat kicked my butt.  I almost sat out a set of Standing Separate Leg Head to Knee.  And I think my pulse, at least in my ears, was pounding at about 200 beats a minute, like Gene Krupa playing in my head (or maybe its more appropriate to say it was like Wipe Out playing in my head?)  But I made it.  Now I need to think about whether its better to take my usual spot, where I usually feel strong and on top of things, or whether its better to be in the spot that is more challenging.  I don't have a scientific answer for that, but I can see good aspects to both.

No comments: