Wednesday, October 22, 2008

117/127

4:30 with Miranda

I need to learn to shut out the people practicing nearby.  Today I was next to a guy who started just around the same time that I did.  He's in his twenties, in decent shape, and has probably been going to class 4-5 times a week.  I've noticed before that in Half Moon he tends to drop his arms alot, like maybe 6 times in the first set alone.  For some reason, this habit of his draws my attention to him.  I want to take him aside and tell him that he should just focus on keeping his arms raised high and stretching up and locking the elbows.  Anything further that he does would just be a bonus.  But I don't know how to approach him about this.  The teachers haven't said anything to him that I know about, so I'm probably just being too picky.

And today, in every Savasana, he was wiping his forehead, adjusting his hair, taking a drink, and it was just so busy.  Again, I wanted to say something, but I'm afraid he would take it the wrong way.  It's just that his practice would really start to open up, I think, if he just settled down.  On the other hand, its not really much of my business, unless he asks me, and I really would be much better off if I could just bring myself not to notice on it (or maybe to notice it but not to think about it so much).

Practice was about average.  My knee feels much better, and I'm pushing harder on the poses where it was causing problems before.  The only time it feels at all weird now is coming up from the third part of awkward pose.  There's a sort of pop as I come up that is definitely not right, but even that is getting better.  Fixed Firm is still a ways away from where it was, but that's just a matter of time.

The odd thing now is that the practices feel good, and I feel great after them.  I'm probably making progress, but its not all that noticeable -- certainly not on a day by day basis.  The challenge has basically ended.  So now I have to come up with something (or maybe I don't) that will allow me to take the practice to still another new level.  I'm not sure what that is yet, but I think I'm going to explore some ideas in the next few days.  One idea, of course, is not to push things and let the practice evolve naturally for a while.  That sort of goes against my nature, but its probably worth considering.

No comments: