Friday, December 5, 2008

147/171 - No Balance

6:30 pm with Miranda

I don't know why, but I could not stand on one foot today.  Well, I do sort of know why.  I played with the dogs before class, and it was pretty cold out.  And the ground was wet.  So I started class with very cold feet and hands.  They didn't burn, like the last time.  Instead, when we started Eagle, I started to get cramps in the outsides of each standing foot.  Not so bad that I had to hop around or anything, but bad enough to completely throw off my balance.

By Standing Bow, it got comical.  I was about as bad as I was in the first couple of weeks of class.  Not overall, but I fell out about every 5-10 seconds or so.  The best thing I can say is that I didn't give up, and I didn't get mad at myself or frustrated.  And that is a major difference between now and when I first started.  Then, I constantly got mad and frustrated with myself, particularly in the balancing poses.

The best parts of class today were Fixed Firm and Rabbit.  In Fixed Firm, I felt like I could have gone all the way down in second set.  I still didn't push it, but I'm pretty near to where I was before I hurt my knee.  In Rabbit, I got into what felt like a pretty deep position.  It's really hard for me to know with this pose, but it felt better than usual, and my breathing was good in the pose.

I got confirmation today of Bikram's close call in Mumbai.  He was with his wife and several of the yoga champions to open a new studio there.  They stayed at the Taj Mahal Hotel, and left the building to go out for food or a drink only ten minutes before the terrorist attack.  A few minutes the other way and the chances are pretty good that some or all of them would now be dead.  Thankfully, they are all fine.

No comments: