Monday, November 24, 2008

139/159

Saturday 9:30 am with Danielle
Sunday Off

Danielle is our brand new teacher.  She just came back from teacher training in Mexico, and Saturday's class was her second.  She did really well.  Her timing was perfect.  She kept the heat just right.  She didn't seem nervous, except at a couple of points when she might have been trying to remember whether to say right or left.  I think she's going to be a very good teacher.

Students don't get to see the dialogue itself, and most teachers start to vary things up on their own with time.  So one of the nice things for me about this class was that it was a fresh exposure to about as pure a form of the dialogue as I am likely to hear.  It's really quite amazing how effective the pure dialogue is.  It doesn't need elaboration or adornment to make for a very strong class -- even with it's broken English ("your exactly head on your knees"), and its absudities ("360 degree backbend for gravitation").

As for the class itself, the energy was high and I did well for a Saturday morning.  Balancing was pretty good.  I fell out of each part, but only once and very late into the set.  Triangle and Standing Separate Head to Knee were both strong.

The high point of the class was Fixed Firm.  I went back on my elbows in both sets.  That's the first time I've done that in a very long time.  I'm not going to push too fast to get all the way back.  I want to make sure my butt is firmly planted on the ground first.  But this is a really good sign that my knee is healing. 

And Toe Stand is also getting a bit better.  I have a hard time holding the squat on my left leg still, but I'm just barely managing it.  The good news is that its no longer scary to go down on that leg.  I have confidence that my knee is not simply going to break.

I missed blogging this weekend because the internet was down.  And I took Sunday off.  I was going to go at 8:30 this morning, but it now looks like it will be 6:30 pm or nothing. 


No comments: