Saturday, April 4, 2009

67/94 The Distance Between Heaven and Hell

9:30 am with Amy

It was a strong class today.  I felt particularly good in the balancing poses, though I still fell out at least once in each set.  The nice thing is that in Standing Bow my foot is starting to appear over my head, instead of out to one side.  And the bend feels deeper than it did before.

Other than that, I can't remember much about the class, which is always a good sign.  There were a ton of first time students again.  But they were interspersed in the class fairly well and class was very crowded, so they weren't weighing in on me, like they were in the last class.  

The general consensus this morning was that it was really hot and humid.  And I didn't notice.  That goes to show how personal peoples' reactions to the heat can be.

Today's meditation (and I'm still one behind) can be summed up as follows:  the distance between heaven and hell is however long it takes to stop fighting life.  The secret is stepping back from what Gates earlier called our "war with reality," and simply letting go.  Put this way, it sounds like the simplest thing in the world, and maybe it is.  But it's also a very radical idea, and simplicity doesn't necessarily come easy.

No comments: