Wednesday, April 1, 2009

64/90 Part 2 -- Staying Inspired

Stay inspired.  That's the sum of the Day 89 meditation.  One of the great goals of self-study is finding inspiration.  This necessarily means returning to your sources of inspiration, anywhere you find them: in books, music, movies, the arts, your work, a craft, or any place else.

Gates goes on to talk about how he was then finding inspiration from Gladiator.  I take that as proof that it doesn't matter where your inspiration comes from.  What does matter is what is inspiring to you.  For me, Gladiator just doesn't do it.  But, for movies, how about The Godfather, Chinatown, North by Northwest, My Darling Clementine, Bringing Up Baby, The Good The Bad and The Ugly, Seven Samurai, Hour of the Wolf, Stolen Kisses, and I could go on and on.  And for me, its even easier to find inspiration from music, but I won't trouble you all with another list.

What I like most about this meditation is that it makes inspiration part of the practice.  It's not something that simply happens.  Instead, its something we should actively be seeking.  Too often, its easy to remain complacent.  This meditation is a pretty strong reminder that there is no need to stay that way, because almost everyone know something that will inspire them, and from there its simply a matter of staying in touch and diving in deeper.

No comments: